Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What's in the microwave???

So, recently (like VERY recently, in fact I can't believe I'm up at almost midnight typing this post instead of going to sleep and getting rest while I have a friggin' chance to!!) my wife and I adopted 2 children from Ethiopia.  They are absolutely awesome and it has truly been a joy having them join our family and getting to know them these past few months. 

However, my wife and I got ill before ever leaving the U.S. to pick up our children (once everything was cleared AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS and we were allowed to go and get them).  So, we did the 20+ hour flight and dealt with a 10 hour time difference all with respiratory infections.  Basically, we felt like crap. 

Of course we didn't have time to adjust to time change and rest up or anything... we immediately went to visit our children the day we arrived.  Then the following day we took custody of them for good (YAY!!!).  As awesome as it was to FINALLY have our children (after a nearly 3 year adoption process) we were miserable. 

We were a jetlagged, ill, tired, and cranky couple that with the swipe of a pen transformed from a couple to a family of four.  Our unfortunate kids!!!  Luckily they were WONDERFUL and adjusted to us SOOO well.  I feel bad that their first days with us they certainly did not get our best...we won NO parenting awards those first few weeks. 

Anyhow, after getting back home to the U.S. we had some time off of work to bond with the kids and stay home with them 24/7.  It was great, albeit somewhat difficult getting used to being parents while feeling so gross you just want to jab something sharp in your side, bleed out, and end it all.  But, then again, that's just me being overdramatic.  I do that. 

So, one afternoon we were giving the kids their post-nap snack.  Feeling all sorts of yucky, I put a mug of water in the microwave to heat up to use with Thera-Flu.  I set it for ONE MINUTE (remember that...it's important). 

I finished gathering the snack, brought it to the table, and started to feed it to the kids when I heard a bell ding.  I was confused.  I wondered what the bell was...as we weren't cooking anything - we were just feeding the kids bananas and crackers. 

I asked my wife, "what's in the microwave?"  in a somewhat dazed, confused, and (okay I admit it) irritable tone.  She replied, "the water you JUST put in the microwave a second ago."

Yes, that is how CRAZY the first few weeks of being an adoptive family can be.  Crazy awesome and full of joy... yes.  But, also so crazy busy and chaotic that when I didn't feel well I COMPLETELY LOST MY MIND and couldn't remember that I put water in the microwave JUST ONE MINUTE BEFORE!!!

Now, being disoriented and spacey is not something I am used to...but, I'm learning that sometimes it just comes along with parenthood.  A parents mind is pulled in many directions at any given moment...and sometimes you feel like if your body didn't just automatically breathe for you... you'd forget to. 

Anyhow, now when we (my wife and I) are feeling especially overwhelmed, forgetful, or just plain looney...we say "what's in the microwave?"  That lets the other one know, "hey, my mind is currently unavailable at this time....check in with me later, please."  

Funny, it seems like we are wondering what's in the microwave a lot these days.  Wonder if we'll ever start remembering...or if this is just our new state of mind.  :-)

Signing off...have a good one.

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment